Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A lasting legacy

I've spent a great deal of time today laughing, tearing up, and smiling. The reason, you might ask? My deceased grandfather...

My grandfather was no ordinary man. He had the patience of a saint, and he was, hands down, the most meticulous man I have ever met. If he had been a blood relative, there would be zero questions as to where my extreme organization skills came from (though, I seem to be lacking in this department lately, but I digress...).

Throughout his seven month battle with cancer, he was the epitome of good examples. Even on his very worst of days, he was someone to be admired; he left a legacy.

A few blogs back, I posted about importance of seeing people: my grandfather did just that. He would spend days on end in the hospital or local nursing facility, but instead of being caught up with his own needs, wants, aches, or pains, he would be geniunely concerned with those around him. He loved my grandmother and was constantly aware of her well-being. He would try and send any of us home if we came to spend long hours with him because we had school...or work...or church...or baseball...or this...or that going on, and we needed to get our rest. He was every nurse's favorite patient because he never asked for anything.

I wish I had the time of day to write every funny story, comical instance, hair-raising moment, and good memory, because I could probably fill pages. What I can say is that I'm thankful: thankful for a grandfather who loved us, even though he wasn't bound by blood to such a commitment; thankful for a grandfather who filled my heart with inspriation and taught me what it really is to be courageous; thankful for man who will pleasantly live on in my heart as long as it's beating.

"The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example."
-Benjamin Disraeli, British Prime Minister

No comments:

Post a Comment