Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I do not like green eggs and ham!

This day in history, 1904, the world welcomed a literary genius, Mr. Theodor Geisel, to the planet. That's right, today is Dr. Seuss' birthday!

I have been fasinated with Dr. Seuss ever since I can remember. Growing up, my brother's two favorite books were Green Eggs and Ham and Hands, Hands, Fingers, Thumb. In a bind, I'm pretty sure I could still recite every line of both...

Last year in my comp. class, I wrote an essay on famous figures I'd like to share dinner with; Dr. Seuss made the guest list. Maybe it's the English nerd in me, but I can think of few people that would be as interesting as he. I mean, afterall, anybody that can write a best seller titled "One Fish, Two, Red Fish, Blue Fish" has got to have some serious inspiration to impart.

Speaking of inspiration, here are some "nuggets" he left behind:

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go."

"I have heard tehre are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables  you to laugh at life's realities."

Hats to you, Dr. Seuss!

2 comments:

  1. In my Senior speech class in high school our teacher read us Oh! The places you'll go, I cried. It's my favorite Seuss book by far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of mine too :) I own so many Dr. Suess books, it could be considered a habit...haha!

    ReplyDelete