Thursday, April 17, 2014

Music and Jesus

Have you ever really considered music? If you asked my opinion, I would tell you that I think music is one of the most beautiful expressions of the human language. It encompasses moods, conquers emotions, and unites strangers; it can lift spirits and break through even the most rugged of hearts. Music speaks to people, and when there aren't any other appropriate words, sometimes a song can say it all.

Yesterday afternoon I was driving all around town, clinging to any shred of sanity I had left. I had worship music playing quietly through my stereo, though I wasn't much engaged. I got caught at a red light that I didn't have time for and the following song lyrics demanded my attention:

Lord, reign in me.
Reign in your power.
Over all my dreams, in my darkest hour.
You are the Lord, of all I am.
Won't you reign in me again?

This song is probably older than I am, and I've heard it close to a bazillion times; even so, it stopped me in my tracks. It's easy for the believer to ask for the Lord's reign when times are good, life is going exactly according to our human plans, our dreams our big, our bank accounts flourishing, and we don't have a single scenario before us that would require a trust walk. It is, however, not so easy when the opposite is true and we're walking through our darkest hours. Maybe, just maybe, that's when we need this song the most.

Lord, reign in me. Yes, by all means, because even my best laid plans are fizzling. I need your authority to guide my life. I know your reign is far better.
Reign in your power. I feel powerless, but I know you have conquered all. Whatever today brings and despite the situations I'm facing, you are greater still.
Over all my dreams, in my darkest hour. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death... Lord, I need you.
You are the Lord, of all I am. The good, the bad, and the ugly, I give it to you. I am yours. Do what you will. Use me where you can. I may be chipped and cracked and nearly broken, but I am still your vessel.
Won't you reign in me again? And again, and again, and again. I need you, oh I need you. Every hour, I need you.

I don't know about any of you reading this blog, but I don't always feel very spiritual when I'm in the midst of a battle, or battles, as sometimes the case may be, but it's refreshing to know that I don't war alone. It's also encouraging to know that I can sit at an over-timed traffic light and whisper five lines of quiet trust and know the God of the universe hears my utterances. The best news yet is that He'll hear your calls of desperation, too. He's waiting...

Happy Easter, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment