Sunday, December 7, 2014

An afternoon vocabulary lesson

I think Jesus likes vocabulary; or, He knows I'm a giant word nerd and speaks accordingly. Both are win-win scenarios, so I'm not too terribly caught up in trying to decipher truth from perception. Not this time, anyways.

Undone. Have you ever stopped to consider this term? I hadn't...and then, I heard it approximately 15,000 times in a week's span and decided I ought to give it some thought.

Undone: adjective: not fastened or tied, not done, unfinished, defeated or destroyed

I'll be honest. At first glance, that definition did nothing for my life, spirituality, or other common knowledge. It felt like a waste of paper, so why did "undone" keep pervading my language transactions? I had to dig deeper.

By "digging deeper," I mean I was reclining in an over sized chair, soaking in some Arizona sunlight, and attempting to steal a short nap, but my inquisitive nature wouldn't take a break. It just sounded more introspective and scholarly to phrase it, "dig deeper." I guess that cat is out of the bag. It's okay, though, because it goes to the raw honesty of my interactions with the Father and that which I relay to you as a result. I'm not a Bible scholar. I've never been to Bible school, and I don't claim to be a spiritual superstar. I don't spend a trillion hours a day locked away in a study praying and fasting, and after five and a half years of really loving Jesus, I literally just learned that there were two disciples named Simon. That's important for you to grasp because I don't want you to imagine something about me that is over-exaggerated or untrue. God speaks to me very simply, often times in the day-to-day dealings of my commonplace life. If you take nothing else away from this post, be encouraged that if He can speak to and teach me, He'll certainly be able to do the same for you.

But back to undone. What does it really mean to be undone? Undone in the presence of God even? I initially dismissed the defining word "destroyed," because I thought it lacked value. It felt oppressive and undesirable. The mental image I attached to the term gave me anything but a warm fuzzy feeling. However, the longer I sat, my thoughts were rearranged. Maybe destruction is exactly what I (we) need. I won't speak for you, but maybe destruction is exactly what I crave.

Destruction: noun: the act or process of damaging something so badly that it no longer exists or cannot be repaired

So many things within my heart and mind need a final destruction. A destruction I can't carry out in my own strength, intentions, or efforts, but rather a destruction that comes only through the power of Christ. A tearing down of strongholds (sin, fear, doubt, shame, lust, greed, pride, hate, or whatever other stronghold you battle) that we simply can't manage via our own self-sufficiency. I want the strongholds to be utterly destroyed. Yes, I want to be undone.

Undone carries a hopeful tone, too. I want to undo my patterns of thinking, doing, and living. I want to overhaul my viewpoints and get rid of stupid and religious thinking. Such an undoing is inexplicably and powerfully redemptive. See Romans 12:2 if you want proof.

Finally, I am unfinished business, and such a state delights me. I forever want to keep this truth in the forefront of my thinking and living. I always want to hunger and seek after more. I don't want to live satisfied, because if I lack nothing, than I have need of nothing. May it never be.

No comments:

Post a Comment