Thursday, October 30, 2014

A little morning glory

I am, by nature, a planner, a critical thinker, and a big fan of introspection.

I think it's vital to our growth as human beings to pause and take an honest evaluation of where we're at, what it is we're aiming for, and by what methods we live out our daily lives. Today as I watched a breathtaking sunrise, the house was caked in flour (it's a long story) and I was soaking in the giggles of a child. I couldn't help but think maybe some areas of my life are deficient. For instance, my more-frequent-than-I'd-like-to-admit- lack of thankfulness.

I woke up with a beating heart this morning, and sometimes, I forget the sheer triumph it is to be alive. Our bodies are these intricately formed miracles that function without conscious effort or awareness. If we, if I, stopped to consider the majesty of that, our perspectives would undoubtedly improve.

Life is full of trials, but yet it overflows with victories, beauty, and raw wonder. I think when we set our hearts on living appreciative, the small wins will become more visible and the big ones all the more glorious.

I am thankful. I'm thankful to be alive. I'm thankful to be loved. I'm thankful to have eyes that behold the beauty of creation. I'm thankful to have ears that can distinguish laughter. I'm thankful to have arms full of nieces and nephews and siblings and god-children that are happy, healthy, and loved. I'm thankful to live in a country that, despite it's failures, allows me the freedom to be and live and go and do. I'm thankful for solid, unadulterated friendships, for truth, for fun, and for flowers. I'm thankful for macaroni and cheese and chocolate soy milk at 2am. I'm thankful for Jesus. I'm thankful for every road trip, airplane flight, and taxi ride I've ever been afforded. I'm thankful for all life's other little pleasures, and dare I say it, I'm thankful for life's displeasures, too, because they've made the "other side" all the more precious.

And with that, I dare you to nourish a grateful heart today. The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment