Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The art of the juggle

Have you ever told someone you were on your very last nerve, only to find out that you possess one hundred other nerves you've never dreamed of?

You know that moment when half the world seems to be against you and the other half claims it can't function without your immediate and uninterrupted attention? Yeah, I'm talking about those days...

For me, it's those mornings when I have two people in my office, I'm three phone calls back, fighting the payroll deadline, dealing in the international marketplace via e-mail, and then, just in time for the chaos, the insurance salesman drops in to chat about renewals. Oh, and did I mention the fax machine jammed and the ADT system went on the fritz (now, of course, the sheriff is in route to lecture me about proper use of the security system. He's going to have to take a number.).

It's the same story everywhere, just different characters. My mom friends balance kids, the check book, the dog, the dentist, and the UPS delivery man all while cooking a nutritious lunch for their clan and the neighbor kids they offered to watch when life was calmer. Then there's my retired grandma friends who volunteer for three different organizations, keep a pristine yard, nurture a luscious garden, and still keep lunch dates with the red hat society. Heck, even my rock star friends have to manage tour dates, book signings, voice lessons, and VIP cocktails. The truth is, nobody escapes the demands of life.

So, how do we cope? How do we make it to 5 o'clock, nap time, the evening rerun of Jeopardy, or the next debut album? I have the answer! Are you ready.........?

We do whatever it takes.

Right, I know. That answer was a let down, but there is truth in simplicity. I don't know how to tell you to climb your mountain, but I can cheer you on during the climb. Life happens in seconds, minutes, and hours. Those measurements add up to days, and before you know it, twenty years has passed in a flash. When I'm 105 years old, I'm not going to think back to the 29th day of May, 2013 and think about how frustrating modern technology can be. You're not going to think back to the time when the kids were young and you fed them happy meals for a week straight because you never could find time to get to the grocery store.

So, here's to you, fellow jugglers. Embrace the moment, and cherish this day. After all, we're never promised tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment